Position: Designer – McKinsey Design
You’ll join one of our North America offices as part of McKinsey Design within McKinsey Digital.
McKinsey Design drives client growth by delivering breakthrough digital products, customer experiences, and design-led innovation. Our approach is multi-disciplinary, combining out of the box creativity with the analytical rigor of McKinsey to innovate at scale and speed across private, public and social sectors. Our highly-skilled, cross-functional team of designers, business strategists and agile developers deliver service concepts, experiential prototypes and go-to-market products to transform clients’ businesses.
At McKinsey Design, we bring a diverse community of designers and innovators passionate about getting in the minds of our customers and elevating design capabilities to the forefront of business decisions, impact and results. Our design team is a part of McKinsey Digital and collectively our McKinsey Digital culture is casual and social, with an emphasis on knowledge building and innovation.
We have the freedom to experiment, work iteratively, and are constantly learning and growing. Our community emphasizes the importance of mentorship, collaboration and propelling the value of good design.
You will work on a variety of projects that integrate digital designs into products, services and environments.
You will be part of a blended cross-functional team and will tackle all aspects of the design process. Moving from insights to ideas, you will creatively solve complex problems, threading design and business thinking together to deliver inventive, durable and thoughtful, solutions from concept to launch.
You will create desirable and feasible digital solutions across multiple platforms, smartly bringing together user needs, business goals and technical realities.
You’ll utilize industry design standards and best practices to define and implement design criteria. You’ll apply user centered design methodologies to ensure your ideas are based on customer needs and you’ll prepare research and testing, produce personas, map customer journeys and develop service blueprints for complex products and services.
Additionally, you’ll communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design and design rationale both verbally and visually. You’ll use a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g. storyboards, wireframes, prototypes). You’ll construct quick interactive prototypes with initial, low fidelity visual designs that illustrate your UX/UI design that present a realistic feel of the intended experience. Further, you’ll perform task analysis and define the User Interface Design through information architecture, wireframes and user flows.
You’ll validate it through usability testing, consolidated findings and iteratively integrate into design solutions.
* Bachelor’s or master’s degree in interaction design, interface design, human computer interaction, human centered computing or engineering, fine arts or graphic design with emphasis on UX or equivalent qualification
* 2+ years of relevant experience preferably in a client facing setting, designing applications, experiences, websites, products and services that balance user needs, business objectives and technological constraints
* Experience collaborating and problem solving with a cross-functional team (including non-designers) using MS Office, Zoom and modern collaboration tools
* Holistic and human centered approach to product and service design, from research and insight generation to concept to deliverable
* Demonstrated capabilities of a hands-on practitioner proven through a diverse body of work using visual design software (Adobe CS, Sketch), rapid prototyping tools (InVision) and research tools (AirTable, Tableau or Google Analytics)
* Working knowledge of research techniques from exploration to usability testing
* Familiarity of Agile software development process a plus
* Ability to collaboratively develop and communicate design solutions in a systematic way from concept to detailed and visual design
* Positive attitude and motivation to delivery high quality work in the face of ambiguity and an ever changing, fast paced environment
* Entrepreneurial, experimental and self-driven while also being collaborative with a professional presence
* Command of the English language (both verbal and written)
* Willingness to travel approximately 75% of the time to client sites